Sunday, January 17, 2010

German Hazelnut Cake

Afternoon cake and coffee are de rigueur in my German family where master bakers outdo one another on a daily basis, often with recipes passed down from generations.  While I like to revel in nostalgia and aim to duplicate the treats I grew up with, I am also considerably less industrious than were my grandmothers and still are most of my numerous aunts.  I am especially delighted when a simple recipe yields impressive results.  To me, this cake is as tasty as any you might be served in my family.  It keeps well if refrigerated - but tends to disappear on the first day.


Preheat oven to 350F.                    
Butter a spring form pan.

1 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2 tsp almond extract
3 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp Frangelico or brandy

Reserve several hazelnuts to use for garnish.
Grind the rest in a food grinder.

Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract for several minutes until thick and creamy. Add flour, baking powder, hazelnuts, and pinch of salt.  Mix well, then add the melted butter (let the butter cool off a little bit).
Put batter into spring form pan and bake for 35 minutes.

Cool, remove from pan.  The cake will look "crusty".

Make a glaze by bringing the whipping cream to a very brief boil.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until very smooth.  Add the Frangelico or brandy.  Pour slowly over center of the cake.  It will work its way down the sides.  Chill until the glaze sets.  Toast the whole hazelnuts and place them on top of the cake for garnish.

I won't name names, but some people eat this cake for breakfast.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Eva, I have recently found hazelnuts at my local Trader Joe's and can finally make this cake. I even have some leftover Frangelico! All we have to do now is brave the snow for the whipping cream. How finely do you chop the hazelnuts in the food processor? Do you toast all of the nuts before chopping some of them? Lynn F.

    ReplyDelete